Indiana : (219) 216-6000

Illinois : (312) 288-1385

Close this search box.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Accident Lawyer

Legal Representation for Clients in Northwest Indiana and Chicagoland
Driver Taking Photo of Car Accident on Mobile Phones

Did an uninsured or underinsured motorist cause your car accident in Northwest Indiana or Chicagoland? If you were injured or your loved one was killed, and the at-fault driver was not carrying adequate liability insurance coverage, you may still be able to recover compensation to help you pay for your medical bills, lost wages, and other accident-related losses. Uninsured motorist accident lawyer Jason A. Ott can help you explore your legal options.

Driver Taking Photo of Car Accident on Mobile Phones

If an uninsured or underinsured motorist caused your crash, let car accident lawyer Jason A. Ott guide you on the path to recovery. Contact us online 24/7 for a FREE consultation.

circle shape left

What Is Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

Despite mandatory liability insurance policy requirements in Indiana and Illinois, many drivers continue to operate their vehicles without adequate coverage. Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage allows you to file a claim against your own policy to recover compensation for your losses after suffering injuries in a car accident caused by a driver who was not carrying adequate liability coverage. 

Illinois auto insurance policies automatically include minimal UIM coverage for bodily injury or death. Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is not mandatory in Indiana, but it may come into play in a variety of situations. 

  • Uninsured Motorist Accidents

Although Indiana and Illinois both require drivers to maintain liability insurance to cover at least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident in injuries to other motorists, passengers, and pedestrians, many drivers do not comply with the laws. In fact, the Insurance Information Institute (III) reports that nearly 16% of drivers are uninsured in Indiana alone. If an uninsured driver causes an injury or fatality accident, financial burdens may be left on the victims and surviving family members if the at-fault driver does not have assets the victims can access to cover damages. Filing a claim against the uninsured motorist policy helps ensure that victims and their families have access to financial relief.

  • Underinsured Motorist Accidents

While state minimum liability coverage may be enough to cover damages in some minor accidents, it doesn’t take much for policy limits to be maxed out. If you require surgery, ongoing medical treatment, extended hospital stays, or time away from work because of your accident injuries, you could be left to foot the bill for expenses that exceed the at-fault driver’s policy limits. Fortunately, if you have an underinsured motorist policy, your car accident lawyer can help you file a claim to recover the remaining expenses – up to your policy limits.

  • Hit-and-Run Accidents

Drivers who are involved in car accidents are required to stop and render aid. Unfortunately, many drivers speed away to avoid criminal penalties for DUIs, active warrants, or other legal issues. If the at-fault driver cannot be located after a car accident, the accident victim is responsible for accident-related medical expenses and other losses, even if he or she did not contribute to causing the crash. If you have uninsured motorist coverage, however, car accident lawyer Jason A. Ott can help you file a claim and negotiate with the insurance company to pick up the tab – up to your policy limits.

What Our Clients Say

ol stars icon

Excellent when it came to working my case. Just when I gave up he continued to work and won my case. I would recommend him to anyone and hire him again if needed.

~ Dawn
ol stars icon

I was in a car accident that totaled my car and left me with some extensive injuries. The insurance company of the person who hit me wanted me to settle for far less than what I thought was fair. I consulted with Jason and hired him that same day. Never having gone through this process before I felt that Jason could take my case and get me a fair settlement. The whole process did take quite a bit of time but I was pleased with the outcome. Thank you Jason.

~ Carol
ol stars icon

I was in an auto accident with a snowplow my work contracted. I was scared, worried and my job was put on the line. Jason A. Ott and his assistant were always available by text, phone, or email to provide me support. Jason fought diligently to get me the settlement I deserved. I trust Jason and assure anyone that invests their time in him that he will take care of you in every aspect. He was so supportive it truly helped me get through the stressful situation of going through a lawsuit. Thank you Jason for everything you did for me. I am grateful and if I ever need a lawyer again you will be my first phone call.

~ Elisa
ol quote right
circle shape left

What Does an Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Policy Cover?

A wide range of damages may be covered by your uninsured/underinsured motorist policy.

  • Ambulance Transport
  • Emergency Room Treatment
  • Hospital Stays
  • Surgeries
  • Prescription Medications
  • Follow-Up Care
  • Lost Wages
  • Pain and Suffering
  • Funeral and Burial Costs

What to Do After a Car Accident

  • Stop at the Scene
  • Check for Injuries
  • Call 9-1-1
  • Get Immediate Medical Treatment for Severe Injuries
  • Take Photos or Videos of the Scene
  • Obtain Witness Information
  • Document What Happened
  • Follow-Up with Your Doctor
  • Contact a Car Accident Attorney

Minimum Insurance Requirements in Indiana and Illinois

Indiana and Illinois require drivers to maintain liability insurance that meets the following minimum requirements.

  • $25,000 for bodily injury to one person
  • $50,000 for bodily injury to multiple people
  • $10,000 for property damage

Illinois policies include UIM coverage for bodily injury and death. Additionally, all new Indiana car insurance policies are required to offer optional uninsured/underinsured motorist policies that cover:

  • $25,000 in injuries to one person
  • $50,000 in injuries to multiple people
  • $25,000 in property damage
  • $50,000 in bodily injury for underinsured accidents

FAQs About Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Accidents

ol faq icon
Is uninsured motorist coverage required in Indiana?

Uninsured motorist coverage is not required, but purchasing it is recommended. Doing so help ensure victims have the resources to get the medical care they need after a car accident with an uninsured motorist.

ol faq icon
Do I need a car accident lawyer for an uninsured motorist claim?

You are not legally required to hire a car accident lawyer to file an uninsured motorist claim in Indiana. However, if your insurance company refuses to offer you an appropriate settlement to cover your losses, an attorney can negotiate for a larger amount and litigate the case in court if it becomes necessary.

ol faq icon
How much is my hit-and-run accident case worth?

The value of your hit-and-run accident case depends on a variety of factors, including the severity of your injuries and your other accident-related losses. One of the most important factors, however, is the amount of uninsured motorist coverage you carry. This is because you can only recover compensation up to your policy limits.